Tuesday 8 May 2007

Flower blossoms into England’s assistant coach, Maynard offered passage to India


Matthew Maynard, just rendered jobless with Andy Flower replacing him as England’s assistant coach, claims he has an offer from the BCCI to work in India.

"I've been asked to go out to India to work with their academy, and I'm sure there will be one or two more offers coming in. But I'm just going to take my time, I don't want to rush into anything,” Maynard told BBC Wales Sport.

Though his contract with the ECB was until the end of summer, once Peter Moores took over the reins from Duncan Fletcher, Maynard’s days in the job were numbered.

"Whenever you get a new coach in, he tends to bring people he's familiar with to work with. To be honest, as soon as Duncan announced his retirement, I pretty much thought that was going to be the end for me as well.”

Flower, meanwhile, hastily retired from playing cricket with Essex to take up the job. He was naturally grateful to Moores.

"I hold Peter Moores in the highest regard...and believe that his selection as England head coach was an inspired choice and reflected well on his work and that of Rod Marsh prior to Peter in setting up the National Academy,” Flower said.

"From my time working with Peter at the National Academy, I know that we shall work very well together and I am excited about entering into this new challenge of coaching an international team."

No comments: